Wednesday, March 16, 2011

GAME Plan Review

For my GAME Plan, I am looking to carry out the following actions:

Action:
1. Come up with "real-world issues" that students or professionals may encounter and have students brainstorm ideas to solve these issues.
2. Create engaging learning environments that involve networking and collaboration

In order to take on these actions, my students need access to resources that can help them to identify, research, and evaluate "real-world issues." The students will need computers with Internet access and the ability to access our course web page. Using online resources and tools, students can work towards solving the issues encountered in our course work. The course web page provides access to class blogs and wikis where students can share the information they have gathered with their classmates. This collaboration will allow students varying perspectives on their issues and the ability to push and assistant one another in order to achieve better results.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walker,

    It looks like you have a good strategic plan of how you are going to incorporate real world issues into your curriculum. I have found the student's are more engaged in the lesson when they can see how the information learned in class can be transformed into real life. I often find that when I create authentic assessment my students gain more knowledge and skills from those types of assignments. I want my student to become excellent problem solvers so I create inquiry based projects that deals with real life issues. Allowing students the opportunity of researching information is an excellent skill that they will be able to use in the future. Students need to have real connections in the classroom so that they will understand the expectations and demands of society so allowing them to gain those essential skills is meaningful. Technology continues to impact our society so teachers must be preparing students to meet the challenges of the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross -
    What website will you be using that will host your class blogs and wikis? Is it something like Moodle or are you using a district website assigned to you and just putting up the links for the blog and wiki? I am curious as I am having such a hard time keeping everything together. Plus everytime I try something new I seem to run into some kind of computer issue as my log-in has administrator credentials and can get to many things that students can not. Changing a lesson on the fly is difficult and stressful. Let me know where you are storing all of these class items. Also, what subject do you teach? I teach Career and Technical Education and we use many real-world problems, perhaps I can send you some useful sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ross,
    I can see a blog as a great way to generate problem solving strategies--as students contribute, their classmates get a chance to see the different approaches and perspectives that their peers have. Peer postings may ignite new ideas or possible strategies.

    I wonder if a weekly discussion question or questions might get students use to blogging and brainstorming--a link to a current news story and follow up question might work--or students could take ownership over generating the weekly question.

    Thank you for posting.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete