Sunday, April 10, 2011

Revising Your GAME Plan

What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice?
What goals are you still working toward?

The ideas that I take away from our own courses usually help with my students technology set ups or how group interaction should proceed. I often find, though, once my students are set on track, they tend to take off and produce great products with minimal guidance from myself. I would like to have a bit more of a structured lesson for my students to work within. Not only for their own understanding, but also for my own grading of their work. They can take ideas into so many different directions, it can be difficult to focus on main ideas.

Based on the NETS-T, what new learning goals will you set for yourself?

My two Goals/Actions:

1. Come up with "real-world issues" that students or professionals may encounter and have students brainstorm ideas to solve these issues.
2. Create engaging learning environments that involve networking and collaboration

I think that my students have done a pretty good job of taking on these ideas. I don't see a wholesale change of these concepts, maybe just look to focus on specifics a bit more as the lessons and practices are carried out.

If you are not ready to set new learning goals, how will you extend what you have learned so far?

Moving forward, my students need to begin to finalize how they are going to present their findings. I will have to be involved in helping them make sure they have specific issues they want to present and keep the focus on those areas. Research, ideas, and concepts have become very "big" for many of my students. Our class, as a whole, needs to become more focused on main ideas.

What learning approaches will you try next time to improve your learning?

In the future I would like to provide a more concentrated lesson that might be a bit more structured. I still want my students to expand, explore, and create their own ideas, but I want to make sure they are covering exactly what is necessary to succeed within our class. Again... focus.

3 comments:

  1. When you say you want a more structured or concentrated lesson Ross, what do you mean? Are you looking for more problem based learning activities for your students to work on that incorporate technology? Or are you saying that you need to structure your lesson more in terms of setting learning goals your students can accomplishing technology. I was confused by what you meant by it. How do you propose you can structure your lesson in tailoring it to the ISTE standards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ross,
    There are so many possibilities for sharing--I tend to like presentations that emphasize audience participation and input. A favorite of mine is VoiceThread--students can talk about their topic/content--have the VT there as support, and classmates can go through it later and share ideas/questions--in a sense, it extends the learning experience beyond the time allocated--students can think about/share about the presentation at home if they have web access.

    A concept map is sometimes a nice tool for keeping focus more structured.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that your students can stretch their learning by exploring a variety of ideas and thoughts. I tend to help my students stay on track with completing specific tasks by having them to create essential questions that will be the focal point in their research. I share with my students the importance of finding facts that will support their ideas. I make sure that students are aware of the expectations of the projects by providing them with a rubric which they have helped to create and I also give them a timeline for the duration of the project. I have found that these strategies help students to use their time more wisely.

    ReplyDelete